as i mentioned previously, I’ve been spinning a lot lately – mostly inspired by my lovely gift from Knitspirations on ravelry.com – two beautiful tops – and a trip to visit charly at ixchel where i purchased a new spindle and beautiful angorino top (and have since purchased another one, plus some more tops from Ewe Give Me The Knits!!)
I’ve been spinning undyed (which is starting to boooooore me) because it’s cheaper and i can experiment with dyeing it. And I’ve taken up the spindle to finish of the packet of sample fleece i got ages ago from sunset fibres on etsy.
So I looked up some great videos on you tube and practiced on both my spindle and wheel. I’m getting more even, but i’m still a bit thick and thin and have trouble maintaining a single any smaller than an 8ply (which means my plied yarn is very bulky)
here are some photos!
There’s another skein of this sort of weight 2 ply currently drying. I will re skein the two together and get a meterage. I’m considering making the dumpling bag from interweave knits from this for my friend – hand dyed in her favourite colours!
Things i have learnt
– how to predraft properly. in order to get an even fibre I really can’t afford to skimp on this bit.
– how to draw out the draft while i’m actually spinning – not a lot, but enough to thin out some of the ‘thick’ bits.
– i need to find a better way to guide the two singles when plying in order to get a more even twist in both singles
– i’m still over spinning a bit in some places, particularly on the wheel.
– i like having a notch on my spindle, especially when they’re as beautifully smooth as the spindlemaker!!
I really want to try navajo plying – especially with my coloured tops, in order to keep the colours even.
I have some raspberry and fuchsia merino i want to spin and then ply, in order to see what the two singles are actually doing.
i have plans to spin the more orangy of these two rovings into a skein for my friend for christmas. hence all the practicing!! Of course it’s important to remember – there ARE NO SPINNING POLICE lol.