Chapter 3 – Crafty Lady’s life!
1. My Heartfelt pattern book arrived! It’s just beautiful. The patterns are gorgeous and it’s come with its own errata! I’m planning on doing Calm first, followed by Emily and Cherish. This will be made easier by point 2…
2. I am now working at the Wool Baa in Albert Park, Melbourne’s premiere LYS with beautiful luxury yarns, such as Rowan, Jo Sharp, Debbie Bliss. mmmmm. I’m loving it! I’m only working a few shifts a week and so will need to find other work as well, but I really enjoy it. It should pick up more as the weather gets colder, but that’s a while off yet! (there’s also a part time position going at a book store which would be a wonderful complement). And the best part? Staff discount! And it’s *ahem* hefty! Also, it is strangely satisfying enabling others (even strangers) to feed their yarn addiction, thus reducing my own yearning to buy. Plus i get to pat the pretties 😀
3. My mother loved her knitted Odessa beanie, worked in Teal with silver beads for her to wear to the football. It was her birthday today and this was a little extra unexpected present. She rang to tell me how much she loves it and will send photos soon (or so she says)
4. I am crafting like a fiend and there are many new items up on my etsy store.
5. I’ve made some little packages for Australian Random Acts of Kindness on Ravelry and am looking forward to sending them out!
Welcome to Armed with Needles. Despite the ominous title, this is merely the blog of yet-another-crafter who uses various knitting, sewing and beading needles to make it through this thing we call life.
My weapon of choice is the knitting needle and I have been knitting ‘seriously’ (ie developing a stash and buying knitting porn) for three years. I have been sewing for about the same amount of time, getting my very own sewing machine in 2005. Beading is much newer craft for me, and I’ve been making stitch markers, jewellery and other odds and ends for about a month.
I have a penchant for knitting porn (read books and magazines) and yarn with a particular love of Jo Sharp and Rowan. Not that I can afford them very often, my budget tends to be more Cleckheaton, which I also love, but not in the same drooly kind of way. I have a very inquisitive mind and I’ve recently started spinning on a drop spindle, taking my fibre fettish to a whole new level!
I have a site on etsy and you can view my wares at binkaboo.etsy.com and I go by the alias binkaboo on Ravelry. I also have a livejournal and World of Warcraft account. I’m a bit of a net-a-holic actually and I love my computer- all my best friends are in it!
In the real world I moved to Melbourne, Australia from Adelaide, Australia, three years ago, ostensibly to make my fortune (*snerk*) as an actor. I am yet to get my ‘big break’ and in the meantime have earnt myself a Master of Arts and recently worked for a totally awesome theatre company. I am currently considering an alternative career in Arts Admin – if I can’t be the art itself, I can still help make it.
I live with my two babies (burmese kitties) who love my knitting fetish as it gives them opportunities to wreak havoc in the most dramatic way possible.
Peruse, engage, enjoy