before i explain the title, a few housekeeping things
1) I am going to try and blog once a week. I figure if i really want to be the next Stephanie Purl McPhee, this is a good place to start! Let’s try with Mondays after knitting since i’m all geared up after seeing the girls!
2) I WILL take photos of Fay. I have not really been home during daylight hours to take good photos, either on or off me! I have worn it a few times and it is just lovely – fits well – fitted, but comfy – and is not too warm, but warm enough for this chilly May! And it’s light enough to pop a coat on over. It’s pilling a little under the arms, but that was to be expected – the rest is holding up really well. I get lots of comments on it which makes me happy!
So! Disaster!! Let me explain
Despite using very lovely (often expensive) and pretty hardy sock yarns for most of my socks, I hand wash them. Wool has great anti-bacterial and anti-odour properties, and I live in 2011, not 1100, so not a lot of hard labour on the cards, which means I can wear my socks a few times before i wash them. I rotate which i’ve washed and hung up to dry over the heater on my sock blockers. I have 2 sets of blockers, so unless i’ve just finished a pair of socks, I have two freshly cleaned pairs ready to go.
I was doing this little washing ritual on Saturday and as I was hanging my first ever* Socks that Rock* socks up to dry I noticed a little gap. Now despite my best efforts i tend to get a little gap between my picked up heel stitches and the instep stitches. I’m learning new tricks for avoiding this, but my older socks all have them to varying degrees. It was in an odd spot though and i thought it a bit weird, so I took a closer look. Lo and Behold, what should i see but a HOLE!
I was pretty impressed with my reaction actually. I didn’t panic (which given how i’ve been feeling was quite remarkable) but dug out my very small ball of leftovers and decided to wait til the socks were dry to attempt to fix them. I didn’t have a massive amount left, since leyburns are a slipped stitch pattern which though incredibly pretty, uses up a lot of yarn. Still, I reeled off a small section, finding the pink of the broken thread, threaded it onto a needle, turned my sock inside out (the slipped stitches were getting in the way) and tried to sort of ‘copy’ the broken stitches. Then i threaded the tails through the stitches around the hole to baste them. The fix is a little built up on the back, but is pretty darn neat from the front! I’m really happy with this, hopefully it will hold!
I don’t know what caused the hole. I’m pretty sure it’s not the dreaded M-beast as I’ve not had any other problems or seen any clothes moths around. I’ll be on the lookout for them a bit though! These socks have been out in my pile of ‘not so dirty they need cleaning but not so clean they can be put away’ clothes for a while now, so it’s quite possible that a kitty claw caught them sometime. Or indeed, it’s possible a kitty claw caught them when i was wearing them. They’re both pretty clumsy with their claws! Anyway, the darn hole is darned and i am pretty pleased with my reaction, both emotionally and practically, to this little hurdle!
Speaking of socks, I have just grafted the toe and sewn in the ends on my first jitterbug* socks! No proper photos as they need a block and light for catching the DELICIOUS colour. But here is a teaser photo!
I am VERY glad that the lovely Sharondoubleknit was ALSO knitting socks in the same yarn as she has tiny feet and Jitterbug is a notoriously short ball. Sure enough had Sharon not provided me with a little ball of her leftovers I would have run short. As it was I stumped my toes up a bit as I found the 3 pattern repeats plus the written toe a bit long for my Aus size 8 feet. I don’t think it will be too long before i order more of this yarn for things! Especially this colour! It is just so NOMMABLE!
So that’s it for this week. I will try to drop in with photos after tomorrow when I have some daylight time at home! Otherwise, see you monday!